Website Management Terms of Service
Sites in a care plan should submit a ticket to: https://tarragon.works/support.
This will ensure the request will be routed properly and will expedite your request. Direct communication with a technical team member not only compromises our records, but may cause delays in response.
While we offer our Website Management Services regardless of where a site is hosted, the Website Management Services package is required for websites we host.
We use commercially reasonable efforts to make sites that we host available 99.9% of the time during each monthly billing cycle. If we are unable to meet this service level, you will be eligible to receive a credit to apply to future billing cycles based upon the unavailability for that month. For the purposes of this agreement, unavailability means that either your website is unresponsive, or your website returns a server error response to valid user requests for more than 60 seconds of consecutive requests, and in all cases that the unavailability is not because of local, regional, national or international outages.
Our lockdown protocol hardens the WordPress system to make it more resistant to the actions of hackers. We employ industry leading firewalls and server-side techniques that actively guard your website against hack attempts at multiple levels in the WordPress system.
While it is impossible to guarantee that your site will never be hacked, all of these techniques make your website a more difficult target for hackers. In addition, it is well known that hackers tend to exploit easier targets first – sites without security measures in place. However, in the event that your site is hacked, we will restore it to pre-hack condition at no additional cost either by restoring a site backup or performing a malware cleanup at our discretion.
Your Responsibilities in Website Security
We employ basic WordPress security techniques when building your website. However, studies have shown that one of the most common ways that hackers gain access to your website is through key-logging programs installed on the infected computers of users. You agree to protect any computer that will log into the website by:
- Installing and maintaining updated security software
Using the most up-to-date version of your preferred web browser
- Keeping the operating system patched with recommended updates
- Keeping versions of other installed software up to date if they are installed.
- You also agree to use a strong password (as shown by the WordPress password indicator) for any account you use to log in and edit your website, and that this password will only be used on your website. We recommend the use of a password manager so that you have strong unique passwords for every site you access.
Your website’s files and database will be backed up automatically each day your website has activity (if your website does not have activity, there is no need for a backup to occur). This backup is stored in our cloud data vault where we typically retain the previous 30 backups for your site.
- Should your site become compromised by a hack or if your site becomes inoperable because of user error, we will restore a backup for you.
- If the restorations are the result of a hack, there is no limit to the number of restorations we will perform for you under this service.
- If the restorations are due to user error, we will perform a maximum of 2 restorations in any 30-day period.
Additional user error-related restorations will be performed at our current hourly rate with a one-hour minimum.
At our discretion (minimum every 30 days), we will apply available updates for the WordPress core software, your theme and plugin files. We perform these updates for the items that appear in the “Updates” area of your WordPress dashboard. We also monitor WordPress industry security news and proactively perform these updates more frequently during times of enhanced threat levels.
Premium (Paid) Themes and Plugins
- Many websites use themes and/or plugins that require the payment of a recurring license fee to maintain access to ongoing software updates. We have secured appropriate licensing for many of these.
- If we have appropriate licenses for the themes and/or plugins used by your website, the cost for recurring license fees are included in your Website Management Services, and licensing will be maintained for you as long as you are an active subscriber to our Website Management Services.
- If your website uses premium themes and/or plugins and we do not have appropriate licensing, the responsibility is yours for maintaining the appropriate licensing to ensure the availability of updates.
- We will advise you of the themes and/or plugins for which you will need to maintain licensing and assist you as needed in the process of obtaining them.
We cannot be held liable for problems such as, but not limited to, hacks, inoperability or inter-compatibility that arise from premium plugins which you choose not to license and are out of date.
If an update to a plugin creates conflicts or causes issues with the functionality of your website, we will consult with you to determine the best course of action. Typically, we will remove the offending plugin and replace it with a similar plugin or other programming. If the time required to resolve a plugin compatibility issue exceeds the hours as specified in your contract, additional time will be billable at our current hourly rate.
While we may spot check your site, it is your responsibility to inform us if your site is experiencing problems and needs attention.
Payment for Website Management Services is due monthly on the day the first payment was received.
Default on your payment by expiration or cancellation of the credit card will result in the site being removed from our servers. This is considered the last resort. We will attempt to clarify your intentions prior to off-boarding (file deletion, account deletion, archival of any files, etc..) your account.
Website Management Services contain not only the labor of services but the hard costs of the server and therefore require a credit card on file for automated billing.
You may cancel website management services with a 15-day notice of your charge date by submitting a support ticket. We do not offer refunds on our Website Management Service.
If you elect to discontinue Website Management Service, the total responsibility for performing backups and keeping all components of your website backed up, secured, and updated is yours. Furthermore, we will not be responsible for maintaining a copy of your site for future restoration.
If you desire to migrate your website to another web host. We will at your discretion:
- provide you with an administrator login for your WordPress site so a backup can be performed and migrated to the new location
- provide to you a backup created using an industry standard WordPress backup system.
- perform the website migration for you at our current hourly rate.
Our website hosting is optimized for our workflow. Since using other servers typically requires a change in our workflow (and makes the project take longer as a result), there will usually be a surcharge added to your proposal if we do not host your website.
In addition, if you elect not to host on our server, we cannot be responsible for the speed of your website, the performance of any of your website features, security certificates for your website, the uptime of your website, or any other hosting related matter.
Fixing any problems related to web hosting, or project delays related to web hosting on a server other than our own is subject to our current hourly rate.
If you elect not to purchase our Website Management Service, the total responsibility of performing backups and keeping WordPress (and its themes and plugins) updated is yours.